7.08.2010

12 month check up

Here's Miss E at her 12 month check up today. Sorry the picture is so small. I took it on my phone and it's complicated to get it off and make it bigger. That is the only reason I think I need a smartphone...for all other reasons I would be addicted. I think an iPod touch can do the same thing. It's so convenient to snap picture with your phone.

Anyway, here's how it went...
Weight-17 lbs. 10 oz. 10th percentile-down from 20th percentile
Height-28 3/4 inches 45th percentile-up from 30th percentile

I thought that sounded ok...well I guess Dr. E thought differently. I got grilled about her eating habits. Those kinds of questions that put you on the spot and you feel like an idiot afterward!
Him-When did she start eating crackers? Me-Uh...about two months ago I guess. I really don't give them to her because she doesn't have teeth. I am scared she will choke. Who knew that crackers would be that important? No one told me! They really don't have much nutritional value, so I thought I was doing good.
Him-We must have changed her formula at six months. Me-No, she went from breastmilk and stayed on one formula the whole time.
Him-What is she drinking now? Me-Whole milk as you directed her to start at 12 months.

Don't get me wrong...we love Dr. E and trust him wholeheartedly with our sweet girl. I think I was just having an off day or maybe he was. I can only imagine the stress level at his office. If you read that it doesn't sound bad...but it was just very awkward to me.

E has also had bouts of diarrhea for the past few days. I brought that up and she actually had some in her diaper at the time. He checked it out and checked her gums. He said he thought it was from teething. It's disgusting! I hope this doesn't happen with all of her teeth!

So now E is on Silk Soy only (he also asked me if I knew what that was...come on really???). I know he's just making sure, because some parents are afraid to ask questions. His concern really did panic me. I started thinking maybe we aren't offering her enough food choices. We went immediately to WD to pick up a few things. I had a good chuckle when I saw E's friend, Sylvie's father on our grocery cart...for advertising purposes. Great idea Parrish! Anyway, I loaded the buggy with the mentioned Silk Soy, grits (all the babies are eating them at daycare, but I've never given E any), all natural oatmeal, grape tomatoes, bananas, yogurt melts, peaches, pineapple, and Florida's Natural nuggets (very odd like fruit snacks that provide 40% of your daily vitamin C). I also got some real butter to add to some of her vegetables. I am probably way over reacting, but I just want her to be healthy. He didn't say she wasn't, but for some reason I think he picking eating could be because we don't offer her lots of options. Tonight's option is chicken quiche. I better get to it! :)

PS-Also please forgive ALL of the grammatical and spelling errors in my posts. I hate it too, but I am just happy to get something posted at this point!

2 comments:

Williams said...

*S*...you sound just like me. Landon has always been on the small side aswell. He weighs 24 pounds at 18 months. He is so picky on his foods, but is getting better day by day...Thank goodness! I enjoy reading your blog!

The Cobbs said...

interesting. I never knew crackers were so important either!!!
Sweet E looks great, and you're a wonderful mommy for trying to make sure she eats so healthy!