5.21.2010

Dave says...

I may have mentioned this in earlier posts but if not, Brett and I are participating in Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University being held at our church. We are a little over half way through and half lived off a budget for the first time in our marriage. I think it is going great! We are using the envelope system, which may be a little embarrassing for some to pull out of their purses, but has totally worked for us. I'm the free spirit (a Dave term) of the relationship, but I've also become a nerd (another Dave term). I think I just needed a little direction. I love the budget. We have built in BLOW money, entertainment, shopping...it's starting to sound like a vacation or something! This week Brett and I have used our entertainment money to go on a "day date". We walked nine holes...do you know how less expensive that is plus the added exercise benefit. Then we had dinner at the DQ...yeah, so it's not five star dining...that's not the point!
We've also done well with our grocery money. I have about half let for this pay period. Our grocery money also includes diapers and formula and our total is much less than others spend on groceries. We don't eat cheap meals either. I like to make casseroles that I know we'll eat leftovers of. Or I make something like say baked chicken that could later be used for chicken salad, steamed broccoli that could later be used for one of the mentioned casseroles. I can not stand to see food wasted! It costs too much money to be thrown away.
We also have the pleasure to eat with my ILs several times a week. This was a total lifesaver when I had night classes! This coming semester which starts Monday(boo hoo!) I will not have any night classes, which makes me so happy. I will get to cook dinner for my little family every night. I love to cook! My sweet husband and baby aren't picky (praise the Lord) and allow me to experiment with lots of recipes. I love making nutritious meals for my loves...ok! This turned way away from Dave!
The point is we've really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone. We don't have any credit card debt and only one car payment. Comparatively speaking our debt is low...but in our class alone...of 25 individuals/couples there was about 3 million dollars in debt. That figure does NOT include housing!
Dave's program just helps you think before you spend your hard earned money. I think lots of people need to realize that life is not about keeping up with the Joneses!
We use all of the FPU forms, but I found this spreadsheet online to use on Excel.

2 comments:

Amanda Mathis said...

That is just wonderful Angie!!! Thanks for sharing. Going to check into it and going to mention it to a friend :)

The Brooks Bunch said...

Hey! Thanks for sharing! We are trying to follow Dave's plan as well. Jason convinced me to give up a good majority of our savings to pay off his student loan (that was 10 years old!! Imagine all that interest!!) and my car. I have to say even though my savings is almost depleted, it is liberating to get rid of those debts that were piling interest up! Now we have to focus on getting my loan paid off which is thankfully in deferment while I continue to plunk away at graduate school. I just hope we are able to set a good example for Sydney.