5.12.2010

Bye Bye Adenoids, Hello Tubes

I've been meaning to do this post for several days, but I'm usually holding a clingy baby, so I haven't had time. We've started letting her put herself to sleep this week. She's resting better and sleeping later, which may have something to do with her surgery.

We got up at 4:00 and left our house a little after 4:30. E went right back to sleep in her carseat. We picked up Brett's parents and headed to Dothan. We had to be at the Surgery Center at 6:15 and we pulled in at 6:15 on the dot. This place was packed already! We didn't wait too long before we were called back. They gave Everly a little hospital gown with lions and tigers on it and a heated blanket. It was freezing in there! I thought it might be (I thought back to when they wheeled me into the ice box, I mean operating room for my c-section). I luckily, brought a fleece pullover. So Brett and I said and played with our girl as various nurses and the anesthesiologist came to speak with us. We were sitting in our little room probably about 45 minutes and Everly began to get fussy. This girl likes to eat, so I was worried she was getting hungry. Never fear, Dr. Nunnally had arrived. His sweet nurse took Everly and she didn't cry...that gave me relief. If she would have cried, I would have bawled until I saw her again! It was like the Lord was letting me know everything was going to be alright.

Her surgery took about 20 minutes. Brett and I occupied ourselves with coffee (really to warm our bones) and chatting with his parents. We were so glad that they came. Then we were called back to speak with the doctor. Dr. Nunnally said the surgery went great. He said her ears were filled with puss. Yuck! Then he said he was glad that he went ahead and took her adenoids out too because they were very inflammed. He said adenoids size are judged on a scale from 1-4 and her's were a 4+.

A few minutes later we were called back to post-op. I could have never prepared myself for this scene. Our Sweet E was unconsoliable. The nurse kept saying it was the anesthesia wearing off, but that doesn't make a mother's heart feel any less pain. There was blood coming out of her ears and nose. I just wasn't ready to see this. She screamed, cried, and kicked. All I could do was rock her. The nurse tried to take her IV out of her foot and she kept kicking. I had to hold the top of her leg and Brett had to hold her foot for the nurse to be able to take it out.



We got her loaded in her carseat and made the hour and a half trip back home. We had brought her blankie and I stroked her face with it for about thirty minutes until she finally settled down and dozed off.

When we got home we tried to give her a bottle and a sippy cup, no such luck. She did eat some baby cereal and yogurt melts. Later that afternoon my MIL brought some pedialite and I gave it to her with a medicine dropper. The last thing we needed was for her now to become dehydrated.

She's waking up...so I'm going to have to cut this off. We also have said bye, bye to something else...bottles! She hasn't wanted one for five days. I was going to take them away when she turned a year, so I thought it would be cruel to give it back and take it away in six weeks. I continued to give her liquid with the medicine dropper to keep her hydrated until Monday. Yesterday, I said enough! I figured this was something she liked and didn't really need. She is eating everything under the sun including crunchy foods, so I know it's not her throat.

I kept giving her sippy cups. I think I have bought five new ones in five days trying to figure out which kind she would take to. Last night we had the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class at church, so I sent E to the nursery with a sippy. When I came back, she had drank 2/3 of it! Uh huh, just playing mommy. She's smart like that!

2 comments:

The Cobbs said...

Oh Angie! I totally know that feeling...seeing your baby after surgery. Praise the Lord for all of the medical technology he has given us! I'm so happy to hear that sweet E is recovering nicely! :)

DuBose Family said...

Happy to hear her surgery went well. O had her first (and hopefully last) ear infection this week. I hope sweet E is feeling better. By the way, Ollie will NOT give up the bottle. She throws sippy cups across the room. I have a small fortune invested in those dang things!