5.14.2010

Fun Now, Fun Later

I think I am beginning to get addicted to Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life Fridays! Today's topic is favorite books. I have always loved to read and hope to pass that love along to Everly. At my baby shower guests brought children's books instead of greeting cards. It provided a great start to Sweet E's library. I love to read those books to her along with their sweet inscriptions.

We've always tried to read to her and recently she seems to really enjoy it at bedtime. We started just laying her down at night to fall asleep, but first we get her dressed in her pjs and put some "purple lotion"...lavender lotion on her for a little baby massage. Then we settle down in the comfortable rocker in her room and read a little.

Last night we read her Take Along Bible that Pop and Gimme got her for Christmas. The only word she touched in the whole book was God. We read that word over and over. I thought it was pretty special! The Take Along Bible is great for really young children. The stories are short and sweet and include scripture references. We read the whole thing and a few of the stories a second time.


We also read Goodnight Moon this week, not one of my favorites, but it's a classic bedtime story.


I love this book! It is one of my favorites. I have a copy for E at home and I will definitely have a copy in my classroom. It teaches a great lesson. It's full of humor and keeps children's interest. I love to get into character when I read it aloud!

Those are fun for now...here are a few that will be fun later...


I loved these books in fourth and fifth grade. Our school library didn't have many, but Samantha was by far my favorite! These books teach many lessons about our nation's history, culture, and real life lessons. I can't wait until E (is hopefully) interested. We'll be going on a birthday or Christmas trip to Atlanta to visit the American Girl store to pick out a doll and have lunch with her. I hear they provide little highchairs for your doll at the cafe.

Then there are these girls...talking about addicted! I probably read 100 of the BSC books. Funny that this was Kelly's topic today. I just read in Instructor magazine this morning that Ann M. Martin the author of the Babysitter's Club series just released a prequel to the series and will begin publishing the series again. They have been out of print for some time. Talk about excited!! I can't wait to start reading these aloud to Everly...maybe in second or third grade...if she's even interested. Brett says I'll be living through her!



My mom didn't show a lot of interest in lots of things that I was into, so I want to be different. Maybe it won't be Molly, Samantha, Lilly, or Kristy...maybe it will be Junie B. Jones or whoever is around then. Either way, I hope Everly is interested in reading. I will definitely make trips with her to the library and bookstore to feed that passion!

Oh yeah, I get most of my books from Thrift Books. You can't beat the prices for library edition, quality used books.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Babysitters Club and American Girls!!! Loved them when I was a girl and I can't wait for my girls to be ready for them . . . which will be soon! Nice to meet you!

The Brooks Bunch said...

Samantha was my favorite American Girl too!

McArdle's said...

I live through Bailey as well - I always wanted to do dance so as soon as Bailey could I put her in dance. My fave was Kirsten and I still have the box she came in - love some american girls :)

King J's Queen said...

My daughter has read all the Samantha books and is working her way through the Babysitters Club. Nice book selections.

Alison @ Welcome Sunshine Home said...

I didn't know the BSC series was in print again until earlier this week. I spotted one at our local book store, squealed in delight, and raced over the display while other patrons looked confused.

Ellen Emerson White's Meg Powers series (stars with The President's Daughter) was re-released in recent years. You might like it.

Elizabeth Bennett said...

Thanks for sharing your love of children's books! Lily's Purple Plastic Purse is one of my favorites too! You and your future students might also love tiger tales books (I hope!). We are a small publisher of whimsical, colorful, touching, magical picture books and board books for young children. Please check us out on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Wilton-CT/tiger-tales/183496001305?ref=ts
Happy Reading,
Elizabeth
tiger tales

Amanda Mathis said...

OMG the Babysitters Club is coming back...yay!!! I love to read as well and read with both of my children everyday!!! We have read the Take Along Bible quite a few times now. Great book!