5.10.2010

First Official Mother's Day

Yesterday was my first official Mother's Day. Everly is still recovering from getting her tubes in and adnoids out, so we didn't make it to church. E and I got dressed up anyway to celebrate. Brett was so excited for me to open my present I opened it in the bathroom while he bathed Everly. It was a beautiful portrait of Everly taken by a local doctor. It was featured at LAAC Lower Alabama Arts Coalition. I was so thrilled. It is probably my favorite picture of her. It captures her natural beauty and innocence.


I wanted to reflect on a few things that being a mother means to me and changes Sweet E has brought to my life.

It's ok if-
You don't get a shower that day, as long as your child has a bath
You don't eat, but your child has had three meals plus snacks
You don't get your hair done as often
Pedicures and manicures are out
You spend your days in yoga pants and if you get time to iron your t-shirt you are doing good.
You watch PBSKids all day, because you think it's educational
You wear your hair in a ponytail all the time and when you finally wear it down you're amazed at how long it's grown
You never buy yourself anything and your child has a closet full of clothes
You cry tears of happiness because of the little things your child accomplishes
You cry tears of sadness because your child is growing up too fast

I love being a mommy! I always thought I wanted children, but now I can't imagine life without her (I know everyone always says that, but it's true). She did the sweetest thing last night. She just crawled over to me and laid her head in my lap and I just stroked her hair. Oh, it just melted my heart. I hope she will never grow too big to lay her head in my lap. I can just picture us in her teenage years when boys make her cry(don't do it boys...her daddy will get you) laying her head in my lap and us having a talk.

Sorry if this post went a little all over the place. The purpose of this blog is to record our family memories...so it can be like that sometimes.

1 comment:

Amanda Mathis said...

I am glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day! I agree with you...I can't even imagine my life without my children! They truly are blessings from heaven! I am glad Sweet E is feeling better and I love, love, love the mothers day gift you got. She is just so beautiful and this picture really shows that. I love it :)