1.20.2009

Highlights from San Antonio





Here is a glimpse of our trip to San Antonio. I don't have any pictures from the discussion meets because B didn't want me to take any. While, he didn't make it to the Sweet Sixteen, he represented Alabama well. He was told this by many people and he said he was confident and felt he did his best. What more could we ask for? We were honored to have Mr. Jerry Newby, President of Alfa and Mr. Ricky Wiggins, our district president in attendance, as well as all of the other members from Alabama.

Now, on to the food...it is one of my favorite parts about traveling. I didn't think this city would offer a lot for me, well because I am not a fan of Mexican food. I did a little research on TripAdvisor and found one place that I just had to try. The Guenther House serves breakfast and lunch. It is a historic home situated next to Pioneer Flour Mills, which was founded by the Guenthers and is still in operation today. I am a biscuit freak, so I ordered biscuits and gravy and B got breakfast tacos and we split the blueberry waffle. Needless to say, we did not need lunch that day. It was a nice mile walk back to our hotel, which helped with the fullness!

Another couple from our county was there and we had dinner with them at Tower of the Americas. I have never been to one of these, but B has in Dallas. The food was delicious, even though I wasn't that hungry. I always save room for dessert, the Godiva Molten Lava Cake was so delicious, I wish they could ship me one!

One of our other favorite desserts was from Anchoite, our hotel restaurant. It was a grilled fresh pineapple with rum sauce and ice cream with toasted coconut made in the ice cream. It was totally different and delicious. This was served by one of our favorite people we met on the trip, Joseph Rodriguez. He was so pleasant and always took care of us. I think we ate at this place 4-5 times and he was always on top of things.

Speaking of people from the trip, B met a very nice man on the flight who happens to own two golf courses in Spartanburg County, South Carolina. They talked the whole flight. We pulled out his business card the other night and noticed that his last name is the same as the name of his town...hummm. Also, I was kind of laughing in my head at this guy sniffing the salad dressings as I went to get my dessert at the buffet in our hotel. I noticed this guy was tall...I'm talking all of 7 foot and he was wearing a track suit. He was sitting behind us and we heard someone ask repeatedly for an autograph. I turned around and the man was talking to Mr. Tall. It turns out he is Hedo Turkoglu, a player with the Orlando Magic. They were in town to play the Spurs and apparently stayed at our hotel. Oh yeah, the we saw Mr. I'ma buy you a drank...T-Pain on the ride home...ok, not him, but his tour bus. That excited me, but meant nothing to B!!





We had a great trip! I know it will be a while before B and I take another trip that far away for that long, so we enjoyed every moment of it.

1 comment:

The Crimi's said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to San Antone!! I love that place, there's so much to do there. Didn't you just love how beautiful the river walk is?!?