3.16.2009

Is RSVP old fashioned?

This weekend I am co-hosting a bridal shower with several of my friends. I made and sent out invitations to about 50 guests. So far I have had three people contact to say that they will not be able to attend. Has RSVP just gone out of style? I know people are busy and hate to commit, but how is a hostess supposed to plan? I noticed this during our wedding when we were given showers by family members and friends. It's a shame for the hosts and hostess who spend all their time, not to mention money to make the shower just right for the guest(s) of honor.

I know this is way out of the blue, but I was online looking for quotes for a little something I want to work on for the nursery and found this lady's blog http://www.teapartygirl.com/why-dont-people-rsvp-and-bring-hostess-gifts#comment-3465 and I guess it kind of struck a nerve.

So what do you think? Is RSVPing old fashioned? If so, what's a hostess to do?

5 comments:

Katelyn Ellis said...

About two months ago I sent out invitations to a baby shower, and I put my number down for regrets. Only ONE person called to tell me they couldn't make it. I've noticed a trend lately where people are not even putting an RSVP number on the invite...

The Presleys said...

RSVP is not old fashioned. People are just rude and inconsiderate. How hard is it to look at your schedule, see if you have something planned, and make a one minute phone call.

Amenick said...

I get very frustrated whn people don't take the time to RSVP. IT's a simple yes or no! I did however try something new this year with the kids that worked pretty well. I put PLEASE RSVP TO: & put my email on the invitations. That way some people hate the phone and don't want to get stuck talking forever (or take the chance of me needing help)LOL
Just prepare for 70 percent and let it go..on't stress over it, if they all show up simply make a polite comment "I am sorry if we run short on food, I tried to keep my headcount by RSVP's" maybe tey will get your drift..

the jewells said...

That is my number one pet peeve! I get so irritated when people don't RSVP!

Christy said...

I'm not sure if you were talking about the brunch at the church, but if so the reason I didn't rsvp is because it said regrets. Since I was planning on attending (and did), I didn't 'rsvp' since it said regrets only. I understand the importance for sure since I am in the process of planning a wedding!