9.07.2010

Reconciliation

The Sunday after we came back from my dad's funeral in Kentucky our Sunday School message was about Reconciliation. Oh boy, I knew exactly who I need to reconcile with...this person is a member of my family. We have never been close. I just don't understand the reasons why this person does the things that are done. The message that morning gave me hope and I wanted to work it out. I mean we both should have learned something from recent events.

The verses we went over that morning were from Corinthians. The one that really hit home was 5:18-19 "All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them.

Well, I was counting this person's sins against them. So I reached out in a way that I thought was easiest for us both, email. I voiced my concerns and that I was praying for her. I thought we should all try to do better.

Much to my surprise I received an email in return that was so negative and hurtful. Of course I retaliated with a few jabs of my own. I'm not very good at holding my tongue. Now that I am looking back over my SS notes I see something else that is so fitting. The question was asked, "How do you handle conflict?" My answer this time would be not very well at all. I'm sorry I said a few ugly things, but sometimes we deal with pain by being angry. Not saying this is right, but it happens.

I tried to follow what I learned-I declared my concerns and seeked to strengthen, but the negativity I received was extremely hurtful. I shouldn't have said the things that I did, but this person has ALWAYS been able to get under my skin. I am sure everyone knows someone like that.

I'll just start over with step one...Approach Courageously in Prayer and follow the biblical truth-Christians can seek and develop skills to improve relationships that are lacking. I really hope it all works out. I've prayed for this person for years.

No comments: