9.06.2010

Memorial Service

I had to cut my post short yesterday. My little walker is keeping me very busy!

On Saturday morning Brett and I dropped Everly off at his parents and headed north to my parents' house. I knew there would be lots of things that my mom needed help with and we were all in unchartered territory. Not to mention just being in the place where my dad passed away. We handled the business that needed to be taken care of and through this I once again was reminded what a strong, caring husband I am blessed with.

My dad was buried in Kentucky where we are from, but as we found out after his death, he had so many friends and acquaintances from work that wanted to pay their respects and honor dad. My brother-in-law and dad have worked at several of the same companies. He helped alot too, by calling various people. As both my husband and BIL talked on the phone they both were asked about a memorial service in Alabama. It was late Saturday afternoon when we decided that we must have a memorial service. We wanted to honor dad and have a way for his friends and co-workers to pay their respects. My brother-in-law talked with the pastor at our childhood church and we were allowed to have a memorial service there the next day (Sunday) at 1:00 pm....less than 24 hours away. My sister and I went into action mode and started gathering pictures. This is all while talking to my aunt on the phone, many, many times (thank you Aunt Gaynell) and trying to make decisions about my dad's funeral and getting him transported to Kentucky.

I know my strength only came from one place, the Lord. I stayed up until 3:30 (and if you know me I NEED my sleep) working on the slideshow. It was by no means perfect, but I think it did the job. It showed Daddy with his family and doing the things he loved. My sister was talking about music that our Dad loved and Nickelback was one of the bands she mentioned. So the slideshow had music from Nickelback, Luther Vandross, and Mercy Me. I never would have imagined that I would ever do a Google search "music for memorial services". That is where I found the Mercy Me song. I like them, but I had never heard this particular song before. It's called "Homesick". Now I play it when I need a good cry. It is a beautiful song and is very meaningful.




The memorial service was a beautiful celebration of dad's life. The church was full of people that loved him and our family. I wasn't sure how the turn out would be since we just decided to have the service less than 24 hours before. I was so glad to see my best friends. These girls have been through it all with me. My sister, Susie and I read some thoughts that we wrote. I still have mine and maybe I will post those later. Mr. Headley also spoke. Our family appreciates the overwhelming support we've received from our family, friends, and my dad's co-workers. He has been gone for a month today and we miss him greatly. He was the glue in our family.

2 comments:

Meredith Ramer said...

So sorry for what you are going through. I have thought about you alot over the past month. I know it has to be tough. I love the song Homesick. We use to play the Mercy Me cd for B&K to sleep to every night and it never failed that that song was usually playing every morning when I was waking them up. It holds such a special place in my heart. I love the accousitc version. (i use to have it on my blog playlist). I will continue to pray for you and your family as you make it through the year of firsts.
Love,
Meredith

Kristen said...

Angie, I think of you so often and what you must be going through since the death of your daddy. I have enjoyed your posts about him and I'm so thankful that the Lord has given you such strength and peace and that he's blessed you with such a Godly man as Brett. We love you guys are are praying for you daily.