6.01.2009

Joys of a Small Town

Sometimes I get down living in our small town. I feel out of place because I didn't grow up here. Everyone knows everyone and has forever. I sometimes complain that I don't have girlfriends that I can just call up and do things with spur of the moment. I was so used to calling up a girlfriend in the capital city and meeting up in a moments notice for some fun. Even if everyone was busy I could still go shop or to the bookstore or just somewhere.
Yesterday I was reminded of a great joy of small town life. One of my former co-workers and his young family have had a tough six months or so. The community came together and raised about $23,000 for his family. Wow! I get emotional just thinking about all the love. There are also two other families that I know of that our town has joined together to help. The concern and caring nature of our small town is enormous. It makes me thankful that we will raise our child here. So what if we have to drive an hour and a half to hang at Books-a-Million and drink Joe Muggs, get sushi, or find entertainment. The character that our small town girl will develop will be much more valuable and long lasting than the sushi ever will.
I know the Lord sent B and I both a message yesterday in different ways and we are very thankful for the lessons.

1 comment:

The Presleys said...

You said it sister! I would never raise my children anywhere other than a small town! The people are what make it and they will love you no matter what.